Refugee Scholarship Application
What Is It?
An annual scholarship providing financial assistance to refugees or refugee claimants, and who are pursuing post-secondary education. The scholarship amount may be $1,000 (but depends on the number of scholarships awarded in a particular year). Since it started in 2017, this scholarship has distributed $21,500 amongst 21 recipients.
Who Is Eligible?*
- Individuals who either were granted permanent residence in Canada as refugees or are current refugee claimants,
- AND reside in or have an immediate family connection to the Kitchener-Waterloo area
- AND will be enrolled in a post-secondary institution in the 2023/2024 academic year
- Note: Depending on the number of applications received for this scholarship year, the scholarship may be limited to a maximum of one person per household/family.
Applicants will be selected based upon evidence of:
- Career aspirations — Why are you pursuing post-secondary education and what field are you interested in?
- Community involvement — How are you involved in and giving in your community?
- Financial need — Sharing your financial need for this scholarship in order to pursue post-secondary education.
*We recognize that some newcomers in Waterloo Region may be fleeing war and persecution but do not have formal refugee status, such as people fleeing the war in Ukraine or undocumented refugees. If you wish to apply for the Elevation Refugee scholarship and want to request consideration such as this, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to ask for more information.
Applications open: Oct 15, 2023
Application deadline: November 17, 2023
Scholarship selections announced: November 29, 2023
How To Apply
To apply, you must complete our Scholarship Application Form, which includes:
- A document demonstrating enrolment or acceptance from your institution
- A personal statement (maximum 3 pages written, or maximum 5 minute video) telling us about yourself and your educational journey, why you want to be considered for this scholarship, and the impact that receiving this scholarship would have on your life.
- The names of two people that will provide a letter of recommendation for you. References should be people who know you, excluding members of your immediate family. This could include a teacher, pastor, social worker, or member of your sponsorship group.